Thompson terminates Price in two - By John J. Raspanti- Doghouse Boxing News

Thompson terminates Price in two
By John J. Raspanti, Doghouse Boxing (Feb 23, 2013)

Tony Thompson
Heavy underdog Tony “The Tiger” Thompson (37-3, 25 KOs) sent shock waves through the British boxing world by stopping David Price (16-1, 14 KOs) in two rounds today at the Echo Arena, Liverpool, United Kingdom.

There were questions before the opening bell.
Had Thompson come to Liverpool to win?

Was Price ready for someone as experienced as “The Tiger.”

The answers came in round two.

In the first minute of the bout, Thompson, a southpaw, jabbed. Price, taller by a few inches, (6' 8") pawed with his left. A sneaky right clipped the chin of Thompson. Price stalked, but didn’t let his hands go.

Thompson kept jabbing in round two. It was obvious what Price wanted to do. His right hand was locked and loaded. He let it go a little past the minute mark. Thompson blinked, but looked unhurt. Price seemed to be in control of the bout. The estimated crowd of 8,000 were chanting. They had to come to see a knockout.

They soon got their wish.

Thompson moved off the ropes and attempted a uppercut. Price countered, but came up short. Thompson followed up with a sweeping right that caught Price below his right ear. The big tree crumbled to the canvas.

The impact of the punch had completely discombobulated Price. He was up at eight, but woozy.

The referee quickly waved off the fight.

The time was 2:17 of round two.

The frenzy surrounding Price had reminded this writer of Gerry Cooney.

His chin will bring back memories of a young Wladimir Klitschko. It’s back to the drawing board.

Follow and visit John on Twitter:!/johnboxing1

For much more boxng headlines and videos, visit the homepage at DoghouseBoxing.

Write for Doghouse Boxing:

NEW: Follow Doghouse Boxing on FaceBook!
For more Boxing News 24/7 and so much more...  visit our homepage now!

© Copyright / All Rights reserved: Doghouse Boxing Inc. 1998-2013