Unknown Alejandro Perez stuns and stops Antonio Escalante in one
By John J. Raspanti (March 27, 2011) Doghouse Boxing
World ranked Antonio Escalante must have figured that Alejandro Perez was biting off more then he could chew when he agreed to fight him. Entering their contest, staged at the raucous Fairfield Sports Center in Fairfield, California, the twenty five year Perez had engaged in sixteen professional fights, compared to Escalante’s twenty seven. Escalante’s most recent fight was a war of attrition with former NABF featherweight champion Daniel Ponce de Leon, who stopped him in three. Perez seemed like the perfect opponent for Escalante to start another winning streak, problem was the unknown Perez had a different idea.

Both fighters came out aggressively in round one, with Escalante landing a crisp left hook to the body, followed a few seconds later by a jarring left to the head. The exchanges were pretty even with Perez being a tad quicker on a couple of occasions, and as the round progressed jabbing effectively to the body and head. As the round drew to a close it appeared that Escalante might have a slight edge until Perez unloaded a perfect right hand on Escalante’s chin, sending the Texas resident sprawling to the canvas. Antonio made a move to get up, but referee Edward Collantes had seen enough, calling off the affair at two minutes and fifty-seven seconds of the very first round. The crowd was just as stunned as Escalante who left the ring quickly, being whisked back to the medical area to be checked out.

For Perez, who improves to 15-2 with ten knockouts, the victory was the most satisfying of his career. He could sense early that his right hand would find its mark.

“I was actually setting him up. I like to work the body a lot and I was working my jab and I thought if I throw my jab to his body what’s he going to do with his hands. So I tried it once and I saw his hand coming down so I said, this is where the bread is. So I threw my jab to his stomach and came right back with my right hand and landed it perfectly.”

With the devastating loss Escalante’s record falls to 24-4, 15 KO’s. Perez plans to go back down to the junior featherweight division.

In the co-main event of the evening, junior middleweights Clint Coronel and Carlos Musquez battled over six rounds. From the start of the bout Cornel was the more aggressive fighter, landing a number of overhand rights and left hooks. Musquez preferred to counter, clipping Cornels chin with a few uppercuts and short right hands. Musquez came out moving and boxing in round four, but Cornel caught him in the corner with another over hand right. The fifth round was the most spirited, as both fighters came out with more intensity. Musquez probably stole the round with his boxing ability, as Cornel appeared to tire. The sixth round was more of the same, with Cornel landing the exclamation point right that seemed to stun Musquez.

Cornel (4-1-1 KO) was awarded the split decision victory by scores of 58-56 and 59-55. The third iudge scored the fight 59-55 for Musquez. Cornel was happy with the victory.

“These fights are always a battle, I was just glad I had the extra two rounds”

Eighteen-year-old super prospect Manual “Tino” Avila (3-0-2 KOs) impressed big time with a two round annihilation of Frank Gutierrez (2-9-1 KO)

The fight was barely a minute old when hometown favorite Avila stunned southpaw Gutierrez with a sharp right hand. Gutierrez who had no answer, continually found himself being knocked off balance by quick jabs and staggered by short hooks. Near the two-minute mark of the round, Gutierrez ate a right hand and went down on the seat of his pants. He rose quickly and stayed out of harms way as the round ended. Avila wasted no time in taking care of business in round two, first knocking Gutierrez down with a short left hook, and then ending things a few seconds later with a right hand off the chin and solar plexus.

Gutierrez’s southpaw style was no problem for Avila.

“I’ve trained with lefthanders before, there styles don’t effect me. It’s just like fighting another fighter”

Danny Pantoja (0-4-2) went looking for his first professional victory against Ramon Morales (2-0-1 KO) in a four round bantamweight fight. The gutsy Pantoja never stopped trying, but Morales was too versatile and skillful for him in winning a four round unanimous decision.

All three judges scored the fight 40-36 for Morales.

Cruiserweight Trevor McCumby (2-0-2 KOs) got the evening off to an impressive start by blowing away Nathan Ortiz (0-2-0) in the first round. McCumby came out aggressively, working behind a strong jab and landing some hard body shots. He then moved his onslaught to the head and nailed Ortiz with a good left hook that dropped him. Ortiz was up quickly but was soon being pounded again, promoting referee Ray Balewicz to stop the fight. The time was one minute and thirteen seconds. McCumby felt real good during the fight.

“I felt good, real sharp; I’ve been training really hard with Kenny Adams for like two months now. My jab really helped me set him up”.

The last fight on the card was the proverbial pier sixth brawl as junior lightweights Guy Robb (3-0-1 KO) and debuting Manuel Morales went toe to toe over four fast rounds. Robb was able to land more blows on the hard charging Morales, who kept coming and landed some good punches of his own. By the end of the fight, the crowd was standing and cheering as Robb and Morales continued to throw haymakers at each other.

The split decision victory went to Robb as two judges had him winning all four rounds while the third judge saw the fight as a draw.

Golden Boy Promotions promoted the impressive night of boxing in conjunction with Don Chargin Productions and Paco Presents.

Questions/comments johnboxing1@hotmail.com

NEW: Follow Doghouse Boxing on FaceBook!

For more Boxing News 24/7 and so much more... visit our homepage now!

© Copyright / All Rights reserved: Doghouse Boxing Inc. 1998-2011