Yorgey Wins Rematch with Kennedy and Farmer Shines at VF Casino Saturday
Banner by icheehuahua with photos by German Villasenor © Doghouse Boxing Inc.
Doghouse Boxing's Home Page On The Ropes Radio - Home Page Dog Pound Message Boards Boxing Interviews Today's Boxing Press Archives by Chee Team Contact & Advertising Info
Yorgey Wins Rematch with Kennedy and Farmer Shines at VF Casino Saturday
By Ken Hissner & David Ruff at ringside, Doghouse Boxing (June 17, 2013)

“Lightning” Harry Joe Yorgey
“Lightning” Harry Joe Yorgey
Click here for Official Home Page for
Another packed house in the Valley Forge Resort Casino in King of Prussia, PA, Saturday night As “Lightning” Harry Joe Yorgey, 27-2-1 (12), of Bridgeport, PA, won a majority decision over Julius Kennedy, 7-6-1 (3), of Windsor Mill, MD, in their rematch fought in March when Yorgey won by split decision. This time it wasn’t close enough for this writer to call it a draw like their first meeting having Yorgey in front 97-93.

These two middleweights had some words prior to the match with Kennedy saying Yorgey would be carried out on a stretcher so the judges were not involved. Yorgey said no way this close to Bridgeport, PA, would he leave the ring without the belt (vacant WBF No. American title) and dedicating it to his kids for Father’s Day!

Yorgey would move and jab Kennedy at will in the opening round until Kennedy landed his first overhand right as the 10 second gavel warning by timekeeper Freddy Blumstein was sounding! Same for the 2nd and into the 3rd with Yorgey boxing Kennedy until a right upper cut rocked Kennedy’s head back. Kennedy finally got into it taking the 3rd in some heated exchanges and following Yorgey to the corner and hitting him in the back of the head. Referee Benjy Esteves, Jr. took Kennedy to his corner and scolded him but good. Esteves is one of the finer referees in the country and is a no-nonsense one.

In the 5th a triple left hook by Yorgey showed he was still upset by Kennedy’s foul as he easily took the round. The fight took a different mode as Yorgey was starting to meet Kennedy inside which is not his usual game. Kennedy took the 7th and 8th landing some hard shots to head and body of Yorgey. Knowing the fight might be closer than he wanted Yorgey started boxing more and finishing the rounds 9 and 10 strong to the delight of his many fans. Ring announcer Larry Tornambe started with Lynne Carter seeing it 95-95 to the boo’s of the crowd. He then said both Alan Rubenstein and Dave Greer scored it 96-94 for Yorgey by majority decision to the many cheers of the crowd.

“ It was a tough fight but I believe I won it and want to thank my fans for their support along with Limerick Diner and The Point on 23,” said Yorgey. Those were printed on his trunks and both held press conferences for Yorgey. He then brought up a group of kids he sponsored into the ring. Yorgey is a real community person who believes in giving back. A former No. 3 light middleweight contender looks like he is back and will stay in the middleweight division. The promotion of Marshall Kauffman’s King’s Promotions “War at the Forge”with David Feldman announded they will return August 23rd.

In the semi-windup Tevin “American Idol” Farmer, 11-4-1 (1), proclaimed a bold knockout prediction up to and including the weigh-in against Victor Vasquez, 16-8-1 (7), also of Philadelphia in a 8 round UBC International lightweight title bout. The popular Vasquez never seemed to adapt to the southpaw style of Farmer or the quickness of his opponent. Known for his big heart Vasquez kept coming forward and showed his battle wounds especially under his left eye by midway.

Farmer decked out in his “Rocco’s Collision” trunks put on a show but couldn’t come close to a knockdown. Vasquez seemed to take the 6th and 7th rounds though still running into a good share of Farmer’s punches. Farmer may have been saving himself for a strong finish as he poured it on in the 8th and final round before referee Blair Talmadge stepped in at 1:58 of the 8th and waved it off to the surprise of Vasquez and most of the fans.

Vasquez wasn’t going to win but he is a warrior and warrior’s will fight to the end and most including this writer felt he deserved to finish the fight. Dhb had it 58-55 for Farmer besides with winning the 8th round. Plans are for him to drop to 130. In the audience was PA lightweight champion unbeaten Naim Nelson who won the title defeating Vasquez.

In a 6 round lightweight bout southpaw Frank Santos DeAlba, 8-1-2 (3), of Reading, PA, won a hard fought decision over southpaw Jamell Tyson, 3-10-2 (1), of Rochester, NY. DeAlba scored a 5th round knockdown and almost repeated it in the 6th. These 2 rounds pulled out what looked like an even 4 rounds as judges George Hill and Rubenstein had it 58-55 while Greer scored it 60-53 all for DeAlba. Esteves was the referee. DeAlba has not lost since his debut.

Philly’s light heavyweight Todd “2 Gunz” Unthank-May, 7-0 (2), returned to the ring after a shoulder injury had him sidelined since December to win a lack luster 6 round decision over southpaw Mike Wilmer, 4-6 (3), of Huntington, WV, who showed little effort in trying to win this one. Trainer Damon Allen and great grandfather Mitch Allen were yelling instructions trying to get Unthank-May to throw the lead right more.

“ I guess it didn’t look as good as I wanted to tonight. Going 6 rounds and beating a southpaw after the long lay-off I took as accomplishments tonight,” said Unthank-May. Talmadge was the referee. Scoring went to Unthank-May by 60-54 by Hill and Carter with Rubenstein having it 59-54 which may have been a tallying mistake. DHB had it 60-54 for the winner who is under the D&D banner.

In another pair of southpaws Kamarah “Black Majic” Pasley, 6-6 (2), of Philadelphia and Jeremy Stauffer, 7-3-2 (6), of Reading gave the fans something to cheer about. Pasley returned to action after 2 years losing a point from referee Esteves in the 3rd for holding. He evened the score by dropping Stauffer with a left uppercut. He tried finishing it with many more of the same punch while Stauffer held on to finish the round. It was Stauffer who came out and took the 4th round by outworking Pasley.

In the 5th round Pasley came out like a man on a mission driving Stauffer into the ropes looking to end it. Things looked dim for Stauffer as he received a nasty cut to the top of his right eyelid. With blood pouring down Stauffer showed plenty of heart coming back to take the 6th and final round of this cruiserweight bout. It looked even at 56-56 from dhb while Hill had it the same but Greer and Carter scored it 57-55 for Pasley. “That is one tough guy. It’s good to be back with a win,” said Pasley.

The audience was in an uproar as debuting Philly light heavyweight Khalib “Big Foot” Whitmore, 1-0 (0), came down the aisle with his entourage wearing a big Afro wig and sunglasses. His opponent Lamont Capers, 1-2 (0), of Hawley, PA, never seemed to get untracked against the southpaw Whitmore as he was hurt in the 1st round. Whitmore would take all 4 rounds on all scorecards but the fans wanted more action from the big guy. The referee was Talmadge.

In a boxer against a slugger match-up Philly prospect Damon “Little Dame” Allen, 2-0 (0), won his second fight in 2 months with a win over aggressor Travis “The Animal” Thompson, 4-10-2 (3), of Pottstown, PA. Allen was too fast and shifty going from orthodox to southpaw. Thompson tried to make it a brawl but didn’t seem to affect Allen until the 4th and final round of this lightweight match landing several overhand rights. Allen is another D&D Management boxer who was victorious on scores of 40-36 by Hill and 39-37 by Carter, Rubenstein and dhb. The referee Esteves did a fine job separating the fighters and not letting the rough tactics of Thompson get out of hand.

Antonio “Tony” Dubose, 1-0 (0), of Philly won his debut with an easy win on all scorecards starting with a 1st round knockdown over John Portillo, 0-1 (0), of Lancaster also making his debut. In the second round Dubose was credited with 2 more knockdowns though the second one looked more like a slip but referee Talmadge called it a knockdown.

In the 3rd Dubose came looking to finish it but Portillo was starting to score a bit himself. In the 4th of this featherweight match Portillo landed an overhand right to the neck but Dubose came back with a right to the top of the head for a 4th knockdown overall as Portillo’s left glove touched the canvas. Greer had it 40-33 as did dhb while Rubenstein and Hill had it 40-32 all for Dubose.

In the opening bout Javontae Starks, 7-0 (5), of Minneapolis, MN, seemed to drop the first round to George Sosa, 7-4 (6), of Reading but did enough to take the remaining rounds of this 6 round junior middleweight match. Carter and Hill had it 59-55 while Greer scored it 58-56 all for Starks. Sosa sufferd a bloody nose in the 2nd round and never seemed as aggressive after that. The referee was Esteves. Starks is also with D& D management.

In the audience were former champions from Philadelphia with Jeff Chandler WBA bantamweight, Steve “USS” Cunningham IBF cruiserweight, Buster Drayton IBF light middleweight, Robert “Bam Bam” Hines IBF light middleweight who worked the corners of several fighters, current WBC light welterweight champion Danny “Swift” Garcia, and Coatesville, PA, IBF featherweight Calvin Grove and former heavyweight title challenger Randall “Tex” Cobb who had plenty of fans coming up to greet him. The show was covered by GFL-TV.
Ken Hissner responds to all his emails at: kenhissner@gmail.com

© Copyright / All Rights reserved: Doghouse Boxing Inc. 1998-2013