Sheika, Kaddour and Cauthen Win on New Jersey Show!
Ken Hissner at ringside (March 27, 2010) Doghouse Boxing  
Nedals Promotions, LLC, brought a triple header to Hamilton, New Jersey Friday night before a packed house at the Hamilton Manor. Omar Sheika, Ahmed “Baby Face” Kaddour and Terrance “Heat” Cauthen were all featured in 8 round bouts and all were victorious. Nadal Abuhumoud spared no expenses in giving the crowd not one but three main event boxers in separate bouts.

The fight that was considered the co-main event had the fans in an uproar at the end as Sheika, 29-9 (20), overcame a shaky 1st round to stop Philadelphia’s Garrett Wilson, 7-4 (2), at 1:32 of the 4th round. This was Sheika’s second bout in a year since fighting Roy Jones, Jr., and he figured he was in with someone that wasn’t a puncher.

Sheika found out in the 1st round Wilson had some power when he landed a couple of left hooks to the head. In the 2nd round it was all Sheika as he used his experience to beat Wilson to the punch. The 3rd round was more of a mauling contest with Sheika still coming out on top. In the 4th and final round Sheika rocked the well built Wilson into a neutral corner and went ballistic landing at least 10 unanswered punches. Again Wilson was trapped in Sheika’s corner and getting hit at will. Whenever he would try to throw one of his left hooks he was beat to the punch by Sheika. Wilson was sliding along the ropes trying to get away from Sheika and though he didn’t seem hurt enough to go down he wasn’t able to block or return any punches forcing the referee Lindsey Page to wave it off at the halfway mark of the round.

The fans on the lower level and the balcony were going crazy as Sheika showed the old fire that built him a reputation earlier in his career. Both fighters came in at 181 which Sheika also weighed in his last bout 6 months ago. His best fighting weight seemed to be back in 2004 when he lost a close decision to Jeff Lacy for the latter’s IBF super middleweight title. For Wilson it was his second straight loss after winning four in a row. His promoter J. Russell Peltz was at ringside and am sure he hoped Wilson would pull off the upset but it wasn’t to be on this night.

In what was billed as the main event Denmark’s Kaddour, 22-2 (9), fought a cautious last 3 rounds after not being able to stop his opponent Jerome Ellis, 12-11 (11), of the Bahama’s, in the 1st round. Twice Kaddour had Ellis out on his feet in that round, with some well placed left hooks off a sharp jab. Kaddour fought in spurts keeping Ellis off balance. Kaddour who was born in Lebanon was fighting out of Trenton, and played to the crowd at times but seemed to grow more cautious as the rounds went by. Whether he was afraid of running out of gas or getting hit with one of Ellis’ bombs we’ll never know.

In the final round Ellis finally landed something of substance rocking Kaddour who spent the last several minutes of the fight holding on. It was too little too late for Ellis. The referee was Brian O’Melia. All three judges agreed that Kaddour was an easy winner as Frank Cappuccino had it 80-72 while judges Larry Layton and Ron McNair scored it 79-73. This was in the light middleweight division.

In the other 8 round bout former Olympian and one time contender Cauthen, 34-6 (9), of Trenton, did not live up to his nickname the “heat” but did enough to defeat Isam Khalil, 15-2-2 (9), of Sweden in a light middleweight bout. Normally two southpaws won’t make for a good fight and this was no exception. Seems Cauthen likes to jab and grab and after a couple rounds of it the fans were hoping referee O’Melia would do more than warn Cauthen. Khalil forced what little action there was but couldn’t prevent being tied up by Cauthen. In the 7th round Khalil hit Cauthen forcing his gloves to touch the canvas but not only didn’t the referee count it a knockdown or a slip, he didn’t bother to rule anything. Though this writer felt Khalil did enough in the last 3 rounds to make it close the judges all saw it a different. Cappuccino had it 78-74, McNair 79-73 and Layton 77-75 which seemed more in line.

Opening the show was southpaw Francisco Ortiz, 1-0, of Puerto Rico, winning his debut by majority decision over debuting Marcos Garcia, 0-1, of Camden in a featherweight 4 rounder. Both fighters landed good shots in the 2nd round and even though Garcia seemed to finish stronger Ortiz landed much better placed right hooks to the midsection of Garcia. Cappuccino scored it 40-36 while Layton had it 39-37, as did this writer and McNair had it even at 38-38.

Atlantic City’s Osnel Charles, 2-2, evened his record by defeating Marcus Smith, 0-2, scoring a 4th round knockdown and almost a stoppage. Smith, of Trenton, hung in there but didn’t seem to be able to keep the stronger Charles at bay. These were lightweights with O’Melia serving as referee and stopping the action twice to take a look at Smith preventing Charles to capitalize. Cappuccino had it 40-35, while McNair 38-37 and Layton 39-36 all favored Charles.

Camden’s Jason “Machine” Sosa, 2-0, seemed to win the middle rounds and outscore Philly’s Ramon Ellis, 0-4, in a close fight. Cappuccino scored it 40-36, McNair and Layton 39-37. The 4th and final round was the best round of the fight. Page was the referee.

Kenya’s Joe Njau, 1-3 (0), got into the win column dropping Billy Salser, 3-1 (2), of Shelby, Ohio, in both the 1st and 2nd rounds with uppercuts. It seemed every time he got inside Salser had no answer for the punch. Bleeding from the nose from the 2nd round on, Salser never stopped trying. Njau, fighting out of South River, seemed to gain confidence as the fight progressed. These were light heavyweights and the referee was Page.

“King” David Brown, 1-1 (1), of East Orange, won his first fight easily stopping Alando “Pitbull” Swain, 0-1, of Trenton, at 1:36 of the 2nd round. Brown drove Swain head first into the ropes forcing referee O’Melia to give him the 8 count. Shortly thereafter the taller Brown drove Swain to a knee in a surrender position as the referee waved it off.

Larry Tournabe did his usual good job as ring announcer even though he didn’t get the phone numbers after getting the names of the round card girls. He announced Nedal will return to Hamilton on May 27th, the Thursday night before Memorial Day week-end. Whether Sheika will be on top this time and winners Cauthen and Kaddour will be matched together remains to be seen. The crowd seemed to enjoy themselves and would probably fill the Hamilton Manor once again.

NEW: Follow DoghouseBoxing on FaceBook!

For more Headlines and Free Online Videos, visit our homepage now.

© Copyright / All Rights reserved: Doghouse Boxing Inc. 1998-2010