Coy “Pretty Boy” Evans Remains Unbeaten in S. Philly
Ken Hissner (April 10, 2010) Doghouse Boxing  
Greg Robinson’s Power Products in association with River Edge Beverage Company returned to South Philly’s Arena Friday night with a show saver in featherweight Coy “Pretty Boy” Evans. Evans, 8-0-1 (2), of N. Philadelphia showed patience and a good straight right hand in stopping Morris Chule, 11-11-1 (8), of Kenya, now out of Pahokee, FL, in the 3rd round at 1:21.

In an abbreviated show due to two cancelled bouts, the fans were only treated to four bouts but featured were some of the young talent on the east coast. Evans rocked the taller Chule with lead right hands several times in the 1st round. He suffered a small abrasion on the side of his face near the left eye that he called “from a head butt”. Chule best punch was his jab while his combinations were more like slaps.

He was game to the end as Evans landed a left hook that hurt him in the 2nd round before a straight right hand started the first of two knockdowns. Each time Chule would get up but the second time you knew he was hurt. In the 3rd round a counter left rocked Chule while another straight right hand had him knocked out before he hit the canvas. Referee Benjy Esteves, Jr. immediately waved it off without a count. “I knew I could throw my right hand over the top of his jab,” said Evans. That he did all night.

For Evans it was his second knockout in his last three bouts. After turning pro in 2004 he didn’t fight again until the summer of 2008. His trainer, “Bozy” Ennis has given him the confidence needed upon his return under the management of Moz Gonzalez and Eddie Woods who manage both of Ennis’ sons, USBA light middleweight champion Derek “Pooh” Ennis and unbeaten super middleweight Farah Ennis. It was the first show Evans has headlined and seems to have a bright future ahead of him.

The show got started with an interesting match-up of local prospect Kareem “Cool Breeze” Cooley, 1-1 (1), of Philadelphia and Cuban Puro Pairol, 1-0-1, now out of FL. The highly touted Cooley under the management of “Doc” Nowicki and Jimmy Williams, who manage welterweight contender Mike Jones among others, had expected big things from their newest sign. This writer looked at his opponent as not only a Cuban but who had drawn with a 4-0 (4) Nicaraguan in FL. It looked like a test early in Cooley’s career and it turned out to be just that. Pairol has a very awkward style of round houses with either hand like a windmill coming at his opponents. Like most Cubans, he knows all the tricks of the game and used them on Cooley early like hitting on the break. Cooley seemed overwhelmed in the 1st round with this unusual opponent and was backing away getting hit on the end of these punches.

Pairol started out fast with Cooley closing the distance in the second half of the 2nd round finally using his jab. In the 3rd round Cooley started landing more while making Pairol miss. Again in the 4th round Pairol started fast landing a right to the jaw of Cooley. Cooley boxed better and countered well. Referee Hurley McCall had his hands full for Pairol would land a punch and grab Cooley with one hand and punch with the other. Cooley held a 3 pound weight advantage over the super featherweight Pairol. All three officials had it 39-37 in favor of the visitor Pairol. This writer felt a draw would not have hurt either young prospect but gave an edge to Cooley by a point.

Debuting Joe McKenzie, 0-1, of near-by Ridley Park, may have done too much backing up in making Maurice Amaro, 1-2, Philadelphia, miss time and again but didn’t throw enough punches for the likes of the officials. When McKenzie would go on the offense Amaro immediately would cover up. In the 4th round a right hand from Amaro rocked an obvious tired McKenzie who held on to the end. Once again all officials agreed with scores of 40-36. This writer felt McKenzie did enough not to be declared the loser. These are light heavyweights.

Southpaws in the super featherweight division put on an interesting fight with the debut of Germantown’s Keenan “Ferocious Killer Keen” Smith, 1-0, showing more boxing ability than killer. He played to the crowd before the start of the bout while his opponent Luis “Superman” Esquilin, 1-4-1, looked on. Esquilin is a former state amateur champion who can’t seem to get anything but tough opponents. He was just coming off a loss one week ago and it may have been too soon to be coming back. Smith, a former National Junior Olympic National champion in 2007 and a National Golden Gloves champion in 2008 is managed by Gonzalez and Woods.

The faster hand speed of Keenan was obvious but he knew he was in a fight. After a slow 1st round the fighters mixed it up more in the 2nd round, while Smith seemed to outwork Esquillin. In the 3rd round Smith started countering well. The 4th round was all Keenan who was looking to close the show but Esquillin’s trainer Billy Briscoe kept encouraging him to hang in there which he did. The fight was marred with too much holding as referee McCall warned both fighters. Even this writer agreed with all three officials, George Hill, Joe Pasquale and Pierre Benoist at 40-36 for the winner Smith.

Matchmaker was Ty McNeill and ring announcer Larry Tournabe. Power Productions plans to return in June for their next show.

NEW: Follow DoghouseBoxing on FaceBook!

For more Headlines and Free Online Videos, visit our homepage now.

© Copyright / All Rights reserved: Doghouse Boxing Inc. 1998-2010