Mike “MJ” Jones Scores Knockout over Irving Garcia on ShoBox!
By Ken Hissner (July 10, 2010) Doghouse Boxing (Photo © John DiSanto, PhilBoxingHistory.com)  
Philadelphia’s Mike “MJ” Jones, 22-0 (18), continued his quest to a world title fight proving “speed kills” and on top of that he can punch! Irving Garcia, 17-5-3 (8), of Puerto Rico, was stopped in 1:22 of the fifth round with a wicked left uppercut on the belt line. Referee Randy Neumann counted out Garcia who was in a sitting position claiming a low blow. His manager is protesting the punch. It was a matter of time and there was no way Garcia was going to be around to hear the bell for the sixth round.

The fight was held in the Atlantic City’s Adrian Phillips Ballroom at Boardwalk Hall live on ShoBox. The crowd was quite pleased with the performance from Jones who is gaining a bigger following with each fight. Promoter J Russell Peltz has guided Jones to No. 2 in both the WBA (No. 1 not rated) and WBO rankings. This was a NABA/NABO welterweight title defense.

After the first round Irving Garcia, 17-5-3 (8), of Puerto Rico, knew he was in over his head. The taller Jones peppered him with jabs and dug in left uppercuts to the body and ended the second round with five unanswered punches. If Garcia had nothing else he had a stiff jab when he used it. Jones had swelling under his right eye that his co-manager/cut man Jimmy Williams kept under control using end swell. His other co-manager Doc Nowicki also worked the corner behind trainer Vaughn Jackson.

In the fourth round a Jones body shot lifted one of Garcia’s legs off the canvas. He had no answer for the speed and power Jones was hitting him with. In the fifth and final round Jones was putting on a clinic. He seems to have become quite a showman after an HBO and now a ShoBox appearance. There is talk of a title bout with Andre Berto the WBC champion. Jones is ranked No. 7 in their ratings.

Lanardo “Pain Server” Tyner, 24-3 (15), of Detroit now residing in Houston, seemed to enjoy himself breaking down Antwone Smith, 18-2-1 (10), of Miami before finally driving him off the ropes and onto the canvas at 1:15 of the ninth round. Smith had a swelling right eye the size of an orange. Rumors after the fight were Smith had been suffering stomach problems before the fight. If he wasn’t he sure was after the fight. The taller Smith kept his arms crossed and held high not protecting his body throughout the contest. Referee Earl Morton finally waved it off. Smith landed his share of punches letting Tyner know he had power to hurt him but he just couldn’t keep the pace Tyner kept up. This was a NABO Youth welterweight title bout. Atlantic City’s Shamone Alvarez, 21-2 (12), advised this writer he is scheduled to fight the winner and with that being Tyner it will be interesting.

Talk about solid action for the better part of 2:53 of the second round and you would have to say the show stealer started in the first round. Philadelphia’s Ardrick Butler, 5-2 (2), dropped Manuel Guzman, 7-9-2 (3), of Lancaster, PA, with a left uppercut in the first round. Guzman would come back and land his own left hook dropping Butler before the bell ended the round. In the second round a lead right by Guzman dropped Butler like a rag doll flat on the canvas. The referee Steve Smoger wisely immediately waved the ringside physician in. It would take awhile to get Butler to a stool and then off to a hospital.

Camden’s Miguel Corsino, 2-0 (2), made short work of Epi Cosme Rodriguez, 0-3, of Harrisburg, PA, starting with a lead right rocking Rodriguez. This was following up with the same punch dropping his opponent. Upon rising Corsino was on him like a cat dropping him again this time with a left hook. Referee Smoger waved it off at 0:58 of the first round of this welterweight 4 rounder.

Popular Josh Mercado, 5-1 (2), of nearby Cape May, earned a hard fought decision over Philadelphia’s Kywayne Hill, 1-5 (1), over four rounds of this welterweight contest. His jab was a major factor. Scores were all 39-37 Mercado. Ricardo Vera was the referee.

Light Welterweight Ryan Belasco, 12-4-3 (3), of New Castle, DE, won a workmanlike six rounder over Kevin Carmody, 10-13-3 (1), by scores of 60-54 and 59-55 twice. Vera was the referee. Carmody fought too defensive of a fight. A right hand from Belasco in the third round caused Carmody to fall into a clinch. There was too much mauling throughout the bout.

Camden’s Jason “The Machine” Sosa, 3-0-1 (1), was landing uppercuts from both hands throughout this junior lightweight four rounder keeping Clinton Douglas, 3-4-2 (1), backed up throughout. Sosa seems to keep his hands low with nothing being thrown higher than his shoulders. He weaved under most of the punches Douglas would throw. Referee was Smoger.

Steven Martinez, 5-0 (5), of the Bronx kept his record perfect after a difficult first round from Jason Thompson, 5-6-1 (4), of Brooklyn, who landed many left hooks in this four round light middleweight match. In the second round a straight right hand from Martinez had Thompson down. He was trapped on the ropes after getting up and Martinez was unloading on him when referee Vera finally decided it was enough at 2:37 of the second round.

Anthony “The Bull” Caputo, 5-0 (4), of Stanton, DE, had an easy time of it stopping Walter Edwards, 1-5 (1), of Wilson, NC, at 2:44 of the second round. The shorter Caputo was teeing off on Edwards causing referee Smoger to wave it off preventing Edwards from receiving more unnecessary punishment.

In the show opener Rafael Jastrzebski, 3-6-1 (1), almost punched himself out in the fourth and last round from landing so many unanswered punched to debuting Joseph Dunn, 0-1 (0), of Philadelphia, who couldn’t seem to get out of the way of the non-stop punches. The judges had an easy one here all giving it to Jastrzebski 40-36 in this super middleweight match.

NEW: Follow DoghouseBoxing on FaceBook!

For more Headlines and Free Online Videos, visit our homepage now.

© Copyright / All Rights reserved: Doghouse Boxing Inc. 1998-2010