Check DoghouseBoxing.com Daily and Refresh often for latest version.
Boxing Interviews: Archives
Peden Ready to Bomb Out Campbell on March 14
Feb 5, 2004 By Anthony Cocks
Site Editor Note: Doghouse Boxing’s Anthony Cocks, brings yet another exclusive firsthand report from Down Under…:
American-based Australian Robbie "Bomber" Peden, 22-2, 12 KO's is looking forward to a hard fight when he shapes up against heavy-handed Florida native Nate "The Galaxy Warrior" Campbell, 24-1-1, 21 KO's for the IBF junior lightweight #1 contender position on March 14 at the Pechanga Resort and Casino in Temecula, California.
With Erik Morales slated to fight Jesus Chavez for the WBC Super Featherweight Title on February 28 and Joel Casamayor ready to go at it again with Diego Corrales for the vacant WBO belt on March 6, the 130lb division is fast becoming the division to watch in 2004. Not only is the division stacked with talent, but the top fighters are actually prepared to duke it out with each other for ultimate bragging rights. The Peden-Campbell bout is another quality match up that promises to deliver plenty of fireworks.
"Nate Campbell's record speaks for itself," said Peden. "He is a very good puncher who has good boxing skills and I feel it will be a tough fight. He can box and he can brawl, so there are a lot of variables in this fight which makes it exciting."
The Peden-Campbell bout quickly came to fruition when Goossen-Tutor Promotions were looking for a headline event to replace Toney-McCline on February 7.
"I was actually training when I received a call from Tom Brown of Goossen-Tutor the day James Toney hurt himself," said Peden. "Tom asked me if I could fill in for Toney on the 7th of February, which gave me 2 1/2 weeks to prepare for the fight. I asked him who, he said Campbell. I told him to make the fight as I knew it would help their company out as well as Showtime. He offered the fight to Showtime, but they did not want to televise the fight. So they found a date, March 14th and we went from there."
Many boxing fans will remember Peden from his September 2002 fight against current WBA and IBF featherweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez. In that fight a weight-drained Peden turned in an uncharacteristically lacklustre performance to eventually lose by tenth round TKO.
“Marquez won that fight fair and square," said Peden. "Managerial, promotional problems and going into that fight with a viral infection did not help my cause, but again he won the fight and deserved to get his shot at the title.
“I honestly think that it was by far my worst performance in my career. But I need to just keep winning against these upper tier fighters to redeem myself. If people think that my performance that night was the best I could offer, then let them think that. I will keep proving myself until I gain the respect I deserve."
In his last outing, 30 year old Peden scored a 7th round TKO victory over slick-boxing former world title challenger Lamont Pearson in August 2003. While some fighters might be concerned about ring rust, the Roger Bloodworth trained fighter insists the seventh months out of the ring won't be a factor.
"No, not at all. I keep myself in good shape and I have only had 24 fights. It's nothing for me to go into a fight with out fighting for a long amount of time. I train like I fight so I don't have a problem with that," said Peden.
Last year Campbell gave former WBA champion Joel Casamayor all he could handle en route to losing a ten round decision. In his next bout he fought to a draw against the limited Edelmiro Martinez and followed that up with a wide points decision over Daniel Attah. Peden is unphased by which version of Campbell turns up on March 14.
"Well, I will go out and fight my fight. I cannot determine what is going to happen until we are in there going at it. He may box a little more than usual or he may come straight at me. I will be fully prepared for what ever happens. I feel that he doesn't have too many weaknesses, but what he does have I will capitalize on March 14th," said Peden.
Currently ranked at #7 by the IBF, the tenacious 1996 Atlanta Olympian is expecting an action-packed fight that could easily be an early contender for “Fight of the Year.”
"All I know is 'I bring it' every fight. I don't see Nate backing down, so this will be one fight boxing fans should not miss. I prepare for every fight like it is my world championship fight, so you know I will be ready. I would like to thank my coach Roger Bloodworth, Tom Brown and Dan Goossen for helping me out and Team Campbell for agreeing to fight me."
Questions or comments email Anthony at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Discuss This Topic at the Message Boards.